Quantifying your reliance on Open Source software
I've always been interested in the composition of Open Source and internal dependencies that my projects use, and after years of wanting some way to query the data, I went ahead and built it!
Having access to this data has allowed me and my team to get a view of what our most popular languages or frameworks are, which packages we didn't realise we so heavily rely on, determine how many dependencies are using end-of-life software, or just understand the way that internally-built libraries are used across the organisation.
This data has given my company's developers, leadership and the security team a better view of the landscape of our ever growing dependencies on Open Source, so we can appropriately upgrade, migrate, and support projects.
In this talk, you'll learn that it's straightforward to do this yourself with Free and Open Source Software, as well as looking at some examples of the data that you can get out of this tooling for your own purposes.
Events that this talk has/will be at:
- Notts TechFast on Wednesday, Feb 21, 2024 as a talk.
- State of Open Con 24 on Tuesday, Feb 6, 2024 as a talk. Recording of the talk Slides licensed under the CC-BY-NC-SA-4.0
- TechMids on Friday, Oct 20, 2023 as a talk.
- DevOpsDays London on Thursday, Sep 21, 2023 as a lightning talk. Recording of the talk Slides licensed under the CC-BY-NC-SA-4.0
- DevOpsNotts on Tuesday, Jul 25, 2023 as a talk.